We are happy to introduce you to our current FIDO Project trainees, the Canine Castaways! They are currently living and in-training at the Marion Correctional Institution Work Camp.
To see more photos and to get updates on our outings and our visits to the prison, "like" our Facebook page. You can use #thefidoproject to see all of the past classes as well.
*The Canine Castaways have all been rescued! Stay tuned for our next class of FIDO Project dogs!
We are accepting adoption applications now. Get yours in early!
Click image for a larger, printable flyer.
About the FIDO Project
This program is a partnership with Marion Correctional Institution for The FIDO Project. A few select inmates of MCI’s Work Camp have embarked on a journey with some of our homeless shelter dogs. These men will prepare the dogs by training them in basic obedience and socialization, with a goal of passing the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen test, the gold standard for dog behavior.
All dogs involved in this program will be available for adoption, and we hope the new owners will continue to practice the skills that they will have learned at MCI. The men will live with and keep journals for each dog and practice training every day.
How to adopt a FIDO graduate
During each ten-week class, the public will get an opportunity to meet the dogs at two public outings. The outings will be held at local businesses or other venues in which the potential adopters can spend quality time with each dog and decide which one would be best suited for their family. Adoption applications can be submitted at that time, and the dogs can even be adopted while they are still being trained at MCI. The dogs will still be required to remain in the program to complete their training, but the adopters can take home their new family member upon graduation!
If you would like to adopt one of our trained FIDO Project graduates, APPLY HERE!
How you can help
Local businesses who would like to host an adoption event for our prison dog program, please email us.
Your donations are appreciate to keep this program running! You may drop off donations at Animal Services, hold a collection drive or bring donations to one of our adoption events. You can also search for our wish list on Amazon. We would truly appreciate the following items:
• Treats: Zukes Mini Naturals Dog Treats, Cloud Star Tricky Trainers, My Little Wolf Treats.
• New toys.
• Bully Sticks dog chews.
• Regular donation of healthy dog food (brand should be consistent for entire class).
• Sponsors to support this program/host events, collect donations and help spread the word!
• Goodies that will be given to adoptive families at graduation ceremony (gift certificates or coupons, t-shirts, leashes, beds, toys, food, treats, books).
• Local businesses willing to host an adoption event.
• Local artists and professional photographers can surely be of value!
• Monetary donations can be given in person, by mail or online here.
• Donations can also be made through our Amazon Wish List.
We need volunteers to help us at adoption events, transport goods, collect donations, and more! Apply here!
Donations can also be made to Animal Services by mail at:
Marion County Animal Services/The FIDO Project
5701 SE 66th St.
Ocala, FL 34480