Helpful websites for research prior to attending the Farm Bill Decisions Training Workshop:
- University of Florida Farm Bill Education Program: Informational notes and videos prepared by agricultural economists to assist with the decision-making processes with respect to the 2014 Farm Bill.
- Farm Bill Decision Aid Tool: Provided by the USDA/FSA to assist farmers in making base acre reallocation and program (ARC, PLC, STAX) election decisions for their farms; must create an online account to utilize.
- Interactive Crop Budgets: Estimate costs and returns for row crops based on your actual farm expenses; sheets are differentiated for conventional and strip till, as well as irrigated and dry land.
- Crop Comparison Tool: Compare side-by-side net returns of various crops based on expected yields, prices and costs; peanut price calculator and crop price comparison chart.
- Commodities covered in programs created by the New Farm Bill include barley, canola, large and small chickpeas, crambe, flaxseed, grain sorghum, lentils, mustard seed, oat, peanut, dry peas, rapeseed, long grain rice, medium grain rice (which includes short grain rice), safflower seed, sesame, soybeans, sunflower seed and wheat. Upland cotton is no longer a covered commodity.
Important dates associated with Agriculture Risk Coverage and Price Loss Coverage for producers per the USDA:
- Through Feb. 27, 2015: Landowners may update yield histories and reallocate base acres at the local Farm Service Agency office.
- Through March 31, 2015: One-time election of Agriculture Risk Coverage or Price Loss Coverage for crop years through 2018.
- Mid-April - Summer 2015: Contracts signed for 2014 and 2015 crop years.
- Oct. 2015: Payments for 2014 crop year, if necessary.