Introducing Class 18 of the FIDO Project: The Hero Hounds!
This group of dogs are currently living with the inmates of the Marion Work Camp and will remain there until they complete their basic obedience training course. We are now accepting applications for each of these special dogs.
*Potential adopters must attend a meet and greet event to be considered.*
To see images of the dogs and to keep up with their progress, follow us on Facebook!
Meet & Greet
Meet & Greet
|*We'll be sure to announce the new dates and times for the meet & greet events as soon as this information is available.|
About the FIDO Project
This program is a partnership with Marion Correctional Institution (MCI) for the FIDO Project. A few select inmates of Marion Correctional Institution Work Camp have embarked on a journey with some of our homeless shelter dogs. These men will prepare the dogs by training them in basic obedience and socialization, with a goal of being able to pass the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen test, the gold standard for dog behavior.
All dogs involved in this program will be available for adoption, and we hope the new owners will continue to practice the skills that they will have learned at MCI. The men will live with and keep journals for each dog and practice training every day. At the end of the training, the new families attend the graduation event at the prison and meet the trainers, handlers and staff.
How to adopt a FIDO graduate
During each eight-week class, the public will get an opportunity to meet the dogs at two public outings. The outings will be held at local businesses or other venues in which the potential adopters can spend quality time with each dog and decide which one would be best suited for their family. Adoption applications can be submitted at that time, and adoptions can be approved and finalized while they are still being trained at MCI. The dogs will be required to remain in the program to complete their training, and the adopters can take home their new family member upon graduation!
If you would like to adopt one of our trained FIDO project graduates; apply here!
How YOU can help
Local businesses who would like to host an adoption event for our prison dog program, please email us.Your donations are appreciate to keep this program running! You may drop off donations at Animal Services, hold a collection drive or bring donations to one of our adoption events. You can also search for our wish list on Amazon. We would truly appreciate the following items:
- Zukes mini dog treats, or any other training treats
- New durable toys
- Bully sticks and antler dog chews
- Martingale collars (red)
- Printing or sign companies who are willing to donate any advertising material, such as banners, flyers, decals or t-shirts. We'll supply the graphics. *This is one of our most needed items!
- Sponsors to support this program/host events, collect donations and help spread the word!
- Goodies that will be given to adoptive families at graduation ceremony (gift certificates or coupons, t-shirts, leashes, toys, food, treats, books.)
- Local artists and professional photographers can surely be of value!
- Monetary donations can be given in person, by mail or online here.
- Donations can also be made through our Amazon Wish List.
- We need volunteers to help us at adoption events, transport goods, collect donations, and more! Apply here!
Donations can also be made to Animal Services by mail at:
Marion County Animal Services/The FIDO Project
5701 SE 66th St.
Ocala, FL 34480