The Planning Division of the Marion County Growth Services Department manages existing and future development by encouraging the availability of adequate services and facilities, ensuring the wise use of our natural resources, promoting awareness and consideration of cultural resources, and facilitating the protection and enhancement of the quality of life in Marion County.
Staff address land use, transportation, housing, infrastructure, environmental protection, conservation and recreation through short-range (current) and long-range planning.
Short-range (current) planning involves:
Long-range planning involves:
- Concurrency and Comprehensive Plan (consistency review for building permit applications).
- Impact fees.
- Development Review Committee.
- Rezoning and special use permit application reviews.
- Future Land Use Map Series (FLUM) and Comprehensive Plan text amendment application reviews.
- Development of Regional Impact review and Florida Quality Development project and amendment review.
- Update and maintenance of the Marion County Comprehensive Plan.
- Preparation of the Evaluation and Appraisal Report (EAR) Based Comprehensive Plan Amendments and related land development regulations.
- Long-range transportation planning in coordination with the Ocala/Marion County Transportation Planning Organization (TPO).
- Planning and master planning support to other county departments.
- Public utility service planning.
- Community development.