Whether you are interested in spending more time outdoors, indulging in your love of reading, exploring a passion or future career or earning hours towards scholarship, service or internship requirements, Marion County has an opportunity that will likely meet your needs. For more information on any of the below county government volunteer or externship/internship possibilities, please contact Robyne Fraize by email or at 352-438-2351.
Interested individuals must complete a volunteer application prior to volunteering; volunteer qualifications may vary by department.
Seniors! Join the 11 million Americans ages 65 and older who volunteer each year. Need ideas on where you can improve our community? Check out the list below, or check out the article on the benefits of volunteering for seniors found here.
- County departments offer various volunteer opportunities for students and residents to get involved and make a difference in their communities. Opportunities include:
- Animal Services (animal adoptions and recreation, office support).
- Extension Service (4-H youth development, Master Gardeners, nutrition).
- Fire Rescue (firefighting).
- Parks and Recreation (recreation program assistance, park beautification and maintenance, office support.
- Public Library System (circulation and shelving, display and bulletin board displays, story time program, special event assistance).
- Veterans Services (Veterans Memorial Park visitor assistance, park beautification).
- Visitors and Convention Bureau (visitor and office assistance).
Marion County also offers opportunities for college or graduate school students to work with county staff and gain real-world experience through internships and externships.
- Animal Services (veterinary medicine or veterinary technician).
- Human Resources (customer service, training and workflows).
- Information Technology (GIS, programming and technicians).
- Public Relations (graphic design, photography, public information assistance and videography).
We may have a volunteer opportunity for you at another county department. Please contact Bobbi Perez by email or at 352-438-2352 to inquire about volunteering at other departments.